Press Release #72 (1/20/11)
IT'S TIME TO CELEBRATE THE BEST OF THIS YEAR'S INDEPENDENT FILMS WITH MOVIES ON DEMAND (MOD) ON CABLE
Cable Viewers Can See Many Indie Titles with Top Hollywood Stars,
Either the Same Day as Their Release in Theatres,
Same Day as DVD or Even Before They Premiere in Theatres
New York, Jan. 20, 2011 - With major Indie movie awards coming up, such as the Sundance Film Festival (January 20 - 30) and the Independent Spirit Awards (February 26), titles from these film companies are getting a lot of buzz. But cable viewers already have access to the best in independent filmmaking without traveling anywhere. Cable's Movies on Demand (MOD) presents the newest Indie movies, sometimes before they premiere in theatres or concurrent with their theatrical debuts. With a plentiful group of dramas, comedies, documentaries and romances to select from, cable customers can experience major stars in unusual or creative roles. Many award-winning stars and up-and-coming actors can be seen in these films On Demand in the next several weeks.
Some highlights of upcoming Indie films include "Jack Goes Boating," "The Tillman Story," "Every Day," "Buried," "Nowhere Boy" and "Never Let Me Go."
While MOD viewers always have On Demand access to the hottest major studio films produced, indie flicks may not come to their local "cineplex" or are hard to find. In addition some of these selected titles will premiere on MOD the same day as their DVD release. Below is a selection of Indies now playing or premiering soon on cable TV's Movies On Demand**:
- "Magic Man" - Premiered January 11 (Same Day as DVD), not rated, Mystery. Billy Zane stars as a magician who might or might not be trying to get away with murder.
- "Every Day" - Premiered January 14 (Same Day as Theatrical Release), rated R, Comedy. Liev Schreiber, Helen Hunt, Carla Gugino, Eddie Izzard and Brian Dennehy star in this movie about an ailing parent who moves in with his family and the challenges they all face.
- "The Virginity Hit" - Premiered January 18 (Same Day as DVD), rated R, Comedy. Matt Bennett and Zack Pearlman star in this movie about a group of friends that help an awkward buddy attempt to have his first sexual experience.
- "Buried" - Premiered January 18 (Same Day as DVD), rated R, Drama. Ryan Reynolds stars as American truck driver in Iraq who is captured and buried alive in a coffin and attempts to escape undetected.
- "Stone" - Premiered January 18 (Same Day as DVD), rated R, Drama/Thriller. Robert DeNiro, Edward Norton and Milla Jovovich star in this movie about a parole officer who is manipulated by the wife of one of his charges.
- "Nowhere Boy" - Premieres January 25 (Same Day as DVD), rated R, Drama/Biopic. Aaron Johnson and Kristin Scott Thomas star in this film about John Lennon's childhood.
- "Jack Goes Boating" - Premieres January 25 (Same Day as DVD), rated R, Comedy/Romance. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Ryan star in this film about a cab driver who meets a woman, falls in love, suffers betrayal and tries to move on.
- "Never Let Me Go" - Premieres February 1 (Same Day as DVD and Weeks before Netflix and Redbox), rated R, Drama/Sci Fi. Carey Mulligan, Andrew Garfield and Keira Knightley star in this futuristic movie about people bred to provide organs for severely ill individuals.
- "Conviction" - Premieres February 1 (Same Day as DVD and Weeks before Netflix and Redbox), rated R, Drama/Biopic. Hilary Swank and Sam Rockwell star in true story about a woman who earns her GED, undergraduate degree and attends law school in order to help free her brother from prison.
- "Middle Men" - Premieres February 1 (Seven days before DVD), rated R, Crime/Comedy. Luke Wilson, Giovanni Ribisi and Kelsey Grammer star in this movie based on the story of the beginnings of online porn and e-commerce.
- "Douchebag" - Premieres February 1 (Same Day as DVD and Weeks before Netflix and Redbox), not rated, Comedy. Andrew Dickler and Ben York Jones star as alienated brothers who come together to celebrate the older brother's upcoming wedding.
- "The Tillman Story" - Premieres February 1 (Same Day as DVD), rated R, Documentary. This is the true story about celebrated NFL football player Pat Tillman who abandons his career to join the military. When he is killed, the army covers up the truth about who his killers really are.
- "Black Death" - Premieres February 4 (Prior to Theatrical Release), rated R, Horror. Sean Bean and Eddie Redmayne star in this movie set during the time of the first outbreak of bubonic plague in England. A young monk is tasked with learning the truth about reports of people being brought back to life in a small village.
- "It's Kind of a Funny Story" - Premieres February 8 (Same Day as DVD and 28 Days before Netflix and Redbox), rated PG-13, Drama/Comedy. Keir Gilchrist, Zach Galifianakis and Emma Roberts star in this movie about a clinically depressed teenager who gets a new start after he checks himself into an adult psychiatric ward.
- "The Romantics" - Premieres February 8 (Same Day as DVD), rated PG-13, Romantic Comedy. Katie Holmes, Anna Paquin and Josh Duhamel star in this movie about friends who reunite for a wedding. Problems arise because the bride and the maid of honor have a long standing rivalry over the groom.
- "Pure Country 2, The Gift" - Premieres February 8 (Same Day as DVD and Weeks before Netflix and Redbox), rated PG. Musical. Katrina Elam, Michael McKean and Cheech Marin star in this movie about three angels who bestow the gift of song to a young girl, who must follow a series of rules in order hold on to it during her rise to fame and fortune.
With Movies On Demand through digital cable, viewers can watch movies instantly, pause, fast-forward and rewind.
*Title dates and availability may vary by system.
**Movie descriptions from http://www.imdb.com/, Copyright IMDb.com, Inc.
These movies are distributed to U.S. cable systems by iN DEMAND. For full listings, go to www.indemand.com, on-screen guides or cable system websites. Listings for Cable's Movies On Demand can also be found at TVGuide.com (http://movies.tvguide.com/movies-on-demand).
# # #
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org