Press Release #152 (2/6/13)
For immediate release
CABLE TAKES MOVIE FANS BEHIND-THE-SCENES FOR AWARDS SEASON 2013
Free On Demand Programming Features Interviews
with Nominated Actors, Directors and Former Winners
Plus, Many Recent and Classic Winning Films Now Playing On Cable's Movies On Demand
New York, February 6 - Movie fans will get a real insider's look into what makes some of the greatest filmmakers tick with a new series of Free On Demand (FOD) programs now available on digital cable. To celebrate the 2013 Awards Season and leading up to the biggest awards fest on Sunday, February 24, top cable operators are showing short original programs featuring interviews with current nominees and former winners such as Daniel Day-Lewis, Ang Lee, James Cameron, Kathryn Bigelow, Hilary Swank, Helen Mirren and others. Plus about 100 of the most enduring previous winning titles can be relived now via cable's Movies On Demand (MOD)***.
Free On Demand (FOD) featurettes: Viewers can check out a series of free, short original programs that delve into the motivations, methods and character traits that make these artists big winners, mixed with clips, making-of footage, co-star interviews and unique behind-the-scenes access. The FOD segments can be seen from now until March 18 via the On Demand platforms of Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, RCN and Midcontinent*. Movie fans can also view all of them online at: rentmoviesondemand.com/awards.
- Award-Winning Actors: MOD cameras visit with three masters of their craft, all former winners for Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, Sean Penn and Forest Whitaker. In interviews mixed with making-of footage, these masterful actors weigh in with insights into why they chose certain roles, their deep feelings about acting and how they created these iconic characters. Day-Lewis talks about working on "There Will Be Blood," saying "You use yourself up," but "it's invigorating." Penn discusses the challenges of his character in "Milk," while his co-stars weigh in on how this great actor "inhabits" his characters. And Whitaker delves into the complexity of playing Ugandan dictator Idi Amin in "The Last King of Scotland." According to co-star James McAvoy, "He's just terrifying."
- Award-Winning Actresses: Cable viewers get thoughtful visits with three of Hollywood's most celebrated actresses - all former winners for Best Actress - as they discuss how they create their characters. Hilary Swank discusses "Million Dollar Baby" and her director/co-star Clint Eastwood weighs in on how she became an athlete for the role. Helen Mirren engages us with insights about she evoked "The Queen" of England. "You think of yourself as a portrait painter," she said. And Gwyneth Paltrow reminds us how and why "Shakespeare in Love" became such a big winner, with co-star Ben Affleck describing the complexity of the multiple parts she had to play in one movie.
- Award-Winning Directors: Three legends of the directing business reveal some very private and surprising feelings about the projects they choose, and what drives them and inspires them. Ang Lee discusses the universal theme of "Brokeback Mountain." James Cameron reveals the unusual way he sold the concept of "Titanic" into Fox and Kathryn Bigelow weighs in on what it took to get "The Hurt Locker" made and why the film works.
- The Contender Countdown: A cinematic montage of some of this year's award contenders, mashed up, mixed up and set to music.
- Meet the Contenders: And.....action! A pulse-pounding visit to the sets of nominated films "Argo," "The Sessions," "Flight" and "Moonrise Kingdom." We meet the stars, directors and crew from a viewpoint that few get to see.
Former Winning Films On Demand:
The movies discussed in the FOD pieces, along with more than 100 of the most celebrated movies of all time - including many Best Picture winners and other high profile awards - can be ordered instantly on Movies On Demand on digital cable** from now until March 18. Here is just a small selection of those former award-winning titles now available on MOD:
"The Hurt Locker"
"There Will Be Blood"
"Saving Private Ryan"
"The English Patient"
"The Last King of Scotland"
"Million Dollar Baby"
"Shakespeare in Love"
This Year's Nominees:
MOD provides film fans the opportunity to catch up on many of this year's contenders in advance of the awards. Some of the year's biggest nominated hits such as "Argo," "Beasts of the Southern Wild," "Frankenweenie," "The Sessions" "Marvel's The Avengers," "The Master," "Anna Karenina," "Prometheus," "Skyfall," "Flight," "War Witch," "Moonrise Kingdom" and others are currently available or coming soon to cable's on demand platform. More information on MOD during Awards Season 2013 is at: rentmoviesondemand.com/awards including past winners now playing on MOD.
With Movies On Demand through digital cable, viewers can watch these films and many of the most iconic previous award-winning titles instantly, with pause, fast-forward and rewind functionality.
*WHERE TO FIND THE FREE ON DEMAND CONTENT:
Locations of this content varies by system, but viewers should look in their Movies On Demand folders under Movies, Awards, Awards Season, Movie Collections, Trailers, Free Extras or HD On Demand/HD extras.
**WHERE TO FIND THE PAST WINNING FILMS:
These can be found in the "Past Winner" categories for Xfinity and Cox Communications and on "Movies-Hits" channel for Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks. RCN viewers will find them within the On Demand channel under Movies/Best Director, Actor, Actress, etc.
***Title dates and availability may vary by system. HD not available in all areas.
These movies are distributed to most U.S. cable systems by iN DEMAND. For full listings, go to www.indemand.com, on-screen guides or cable system websites.
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org