Press Release #112 (2/22/12)
THE OSCAR® NOMINATED SHORT FILMS of 2012
COME TO CABLE ON EVE OF ACADEMY AWARDS®
Los Angeles, CA, Feb 22, 2012 - Just days after the February 10th theatrical release of The Oscar® Nominated Short Films 2012, and just in time for the 84th Academy Awards®, ShortsHD, the only TV network dedicated exclusively to short movies, today announced the collection of Oscar nominated films will be available to cable subscribers on demand.
Starting Feb 21st, the best of this year's nominated shorts are offered in two special packages: Best Animated Short Films and Best Live Action Short Films, in both HD and SD. These films are presented to cable television subscribers by ShortsHD in conjunction with the nation's leading Movies on Demand (MOD) distributor, iN DEMAND.
With just the click of a remote, digital cable customers of Comcast/Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks, Cox Communications, Cablevision, Bresnan and Charter systems* will see the short movie compilations listed as**: "The Best 2012 Animated Nominated Shorts" or "The Best 2012 Live-Action Nominated Shorts." With Movies On Demand through digital cable, viewers can watch movies instantly, pause, fast-forward and rewind. TV subscribers can also watch the Oscar Nominated Short Films 2010 and Oscar Nominated Short Films 2011 in both live action and animation genres.*
The Oscar® Nominated Short Films series has become a celebrated event leading up to awards season and continues to pick up steam at the box office. Since its first run in 2005, attendance and revenues have risen year over year, with 2011 breaking all attendance and revenue records for the movie category and 2012 shaping up to continue the momentum.
Nominations for the 84th Academy Awards® were announced on January 24th. For more information and to see trailers of each short film, visit www.shorts.tv/theoscarshorts.
Best Live Action Short Films
- "Pentecost"- Ireland (12 min, Director: Peter McDonald) - When Damian is forced to serve as an altar boy at an important mass in his local parish he faces a difficult choice: conform to the status quo or serve an extended ban from his passion in life, football.
- "Raju" - Germany/India (25 min, Director: Max Zähle) - A German couple in Kolkata adopts an Indian orphan. When their child suddenly disappears, they realize that they are part of the problem.
- "The Shore"- Ireland (31 min, Director: Terry George) - Joe and Paddy have been divided for 25 years by the tumult of "The Troubles". When Joe returns home to Northern Ireland, his daughter Patricia brings the two men together for a reunion, with unexpected results.
- "Time Freak" - USA (11 min, Director: Andrew Bowler) - A neurotic inventor creates a time machine, only to get caught up traveling around yesterday.
- "Tuba Atlantic" Norway (26 min, Director: Hallvar Witzø) - Seventy-year-old Oskar has only six days left to live, and wants to reconcile with his brother after a lifetime of disagreement.
Best Animated Short Films
- "Dimanche/Sunday"- Canada (10 min, Director: Patrick Doyon) - Every Sunday, it's the same old routine! The train clatters through the village and almost shakes the pictures off the wall. In the church, Dad dreams about his toolbox. And of course later Grandma will get a visit and the animals will meet their fate.
- "A Morning Stroll" - UK (7 mins, Director: Grant Orchard) - When a New Yorker walks past a chicken on his morning stroll, we are left to wonder which one is the real city slicker.
- "Wild Life" - Canada (14 mins, Directors: Amanda Forbis, Wendy Tilby) - In 1909, an Englishman moves to the Canadian frontier, but is singularly unsuited to it. His letters home are much sunnier than the reality, with inter-titles often comparing his fate to that of a comet.
- "The Fantasic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore" - USA (15 mins, Directors: William Joyce & Brandon Oldenburg) - Inspired, in equal measures, by Hurricane Katrina, Buster Keaton, The Wizard of Oz, and a love for books, this film is a poignant, humorous allegory about the curative powers of written story.
*NOTE: Title dates and availability may vary by system. Not available on all cable systems.
Titles start on Feb. 21 and end as follows: Time Warner Cable/Bright House Networks/Comcast/Cox/Bresnan/Cablevision - 3/12; Charter, 3/23.
** Here's where viewers can find this content within their On Demand on-screen menus:
Time Warner Cable, Bright House Networks and Cox:
"Awards Season" category.
"Oscar Nominees" category and other similar folders.
"Oscar Short Films"
"All Movies By Genre/Family (Drama for Live-Action)"
"Oscar Short Films"
ShortsHDTM is the first high definition channel dedicated to short movies and is available on DIRECTV (Channel 568), and AT&T U-Verse (Channel 1789). ShortsHDTM is operated by Shorts International, the world's leading short movie entertainment company with the world's largest movie catalogue dedicated to short movies. Shorts International also operates ShortsTVTM, which is available in France, Belgium, Luxembourg on Numericable (Channels 134 and 52) and in Turkey via TTNET's Tivibu service. ShortsTM is the short movie on-demand service available on iTunes movie stores in the US, Canada, Mexico, Japan, Taiwan and throughout Europe. The company is headquartered in London, England with additional offices in Paris and Los Angeles and is led by Carter Pilcher, Chief Executive. Shorts International is owned by Shorts Entertainment Holdings and Liberty Global Ventures.
About iN DEMAND
iN DEMAND L.L.C. is the pioneer and world leader in providing exciting transactional entertainment delivered through television's most innovative technologies. iN DEMAND creates and delivers programming through cable Pay-Per-View (PPV), Video On Demand (VOD) as well as on digital platforms. Content is delivered in SD, HD and 3D. iN DEMAND's owners are Comcast iN DEMAND Holdings, Inc., Cox Communications Holdings, Inc., and Time Warner Entertainment - Advance/Newhouse Partnership. Further information about the company can be found at www.indemand.com
PLEASE NOTE: The Oscar® Nominated Short Films 2012 are subject to exclusive licenses and copyright and must not be copied, broadcast or transmitted in any form without the prior written permission of Shorts International. Any party contravening any of these copyrights and licenses shall be responded to with the full extent of the law available to Shorts International. Your assistance in protecting the copyright of these short films would be greatly appreciated.
# # #
For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org